CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Life is precious....

Riley took a tumble down the stairs tonight (she is fine).
She slipped (literally) in her slippers about half way
down and went for a ride - like a rag doll. Of course,
I had a view of it from the dinner table and could only
get there in time to stop her about 3 steps shy of the
bottom. She had on these cute piggie pj's and it was
a sight of pigs over pigs over pigs. I mean to tell you.
That girl has had a rough two weeks. Lots of flipping.
These scares are tough on mommies. It reminded me
of the big reminder from last week. That our lives are
in the hands of Almighty God and that our lives are
precious to Him and should always be handled as precious
to us.
I will start off with a fun picture.

Jarrett had a birthday two Mondays ago. We made
his favorite meal, decorated the kitchen according to
Riley's direction, made brownies and loved on Daddy
alot. Little did we know 6 days later, the following
images would be burned on our minds. Always
reminding us how God is in full control.


Jarrett and Riley were heading down the tollway
to church and around a hill and small bend, he swerved
(at around 70 mph) to avoid something in his lane.
He overcompensated and the car flipped twice.
Landing here - two feet from the concrete wall.
My stomach tightens when I see one the one tire
mark develop into two. Just knowing they were
still flipping at this point.


Here is the car. The only damage being on the
drivers and back passenger side. Where my
husband and baby were. Riley's side is crushed.


Riley's side. Her seatbelt was properly installed
and the straps properly positioned. Also, the
centripetal forces must have pulled her chin to
her chest and it probably avoided alot of head
injuries she could have endured.



This was a tough site for Daddy.



We are not lucky. Not at all. I will never for a second believe that. It was a miracle and something God has used to gain my full attention and remind me of what a mighty God I serve and love. God allowed this in our lives and He allowed them to live and only walk away with a few scratches and bruises. I cannot thank God enough or praise Him enough. And He is not looking for any "works" of gratitude, but man, this really has opened my eyes to examine my time with Him in the mornings, how I am serving Him and living my life so He can use me for His glory and honor. Although this event was so unfortunate (losing the car and scaring the tar out of Jarrett and Riley). God is soooo cool and evident in the intricate details. His hand of protection is obvious, but His hand of provision was just as mighty in this event.
There were two cars that stopped to help. One of them was a very dear friend of mine (we have been in the same biblestudy for the last 3 years). Cricket stopped because that is who she is - little did she know it was Jarrett and Riley. She was able to hold and comfort Riley. It just gets me choked up thinking about it. And Cricket is no stranger to Riley, she knows her from the church and thinks her name is silly. So to know God put Cricket there to comfort my baby and then drive Jarrett and Riley (after the paramedics cleared them) to the hospital.
Jarrett did call me right after it happened (Kelsey and I were still at the house
getting it ready for a noon showing and then heading up to church). When I picked
the phone I had a very frazzled husband and could hear Riley in the background. Her cry was heartbreaking. It was a low moan - she was in shock. The only thing that prevented vomiting on this end was knowing Cricket was there comforting her. I couldnt get there fast enough. Jarrett's good friend Chris came up to the hospital and brought Riley some toys (from his car) to play with. Another level of provision. Riley loves "Kouba" and his little girls. So this made her happy.
So although its not fun for us to have to purchase another car, it could be so, so, so much worse. Thanks to everyone who prayed for my husband and Riley that morning and later that week when word leaked out.

7 comments:

Coby and Sally said...

We are praising God over here for the protection that morning for your family!!

Owner said...

Wow Deb...thank you for the details so we can celebrate our Lord's almighty protection with you guys. We are truly blessed to serve a God who allows us to see living miracles! We love you guys!

Marci said...

Wow Debbie. Those pictures of Riley's side of the car make my stomach hurt! God is so good.

icenhower-family said...

God is so good! I am very glad to hear that Jarrett and Riley are ok and that God was caring for them even after the accident by bringing loved ones to comfort them. A major car wreck is not something you ever forget and will be a constant reminder of the mighty God we serve!
We'd love for you to check out our blog! icenhower-family.blogspot.com
Carla Icenhower (Garrett)

Amy said...

Oh. My. Word.
Debbie, I'm so sorry your family had to go through that, and so glad God was protecting them. Those pictures are incredible. I hope Riley doesn't have any ill effects from the scare, poor girl.

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love your humble, grateful response to the whole thing, Deb. What a blessing to be able to see God's hand from start to finish and to be able to give thanks in all things! The pics of the car take my breath away. Sorry to hear Riles took a tumble down the stairs. Hope she's OK. She's gonna be one tough cookie after this summer!

Nat Pat said...

i was in tears when i heard about what had happened. so thankful God protected Jarrett and Riley and went beyond that to comfort them afterward. glad everyone is safe and thanks for the reminder about how precious life is! makes me want to go hug my little ones and kiss my husband!